Accounting Information Systems
With the dynamic growth of technology, accounting work is diverse and exciting. The 21st century will continue to offer an increase in challenges and complexities. Solutions to today's problems require an accountant to be at the forefront of new technologies.
Accounting Information Systems is a major combining advanced coursework in accounting with computer information systems and basic programming. It is a five-year program that meets the requirements for students planning to take the Certified Public Accounting (CPA) exam.
Obtain an online accounting degree. Study the accounting information systems major through the Woods Online program to take advantage of the flexibility of online classes. Ranked as one of the top 20 online colleges offering an accounting degree, SMWC prepares each accounting major to succeed in the business world.
This accounting major curriculum is designed to prepare students for a variety of careers in accounting and give students the knowledge and skills needed to meet their goals:
- Liberal arts: Adapt to the changing needs of an organization and understand the environment in which the organization operates.
- Business core: Get attuned to broad business issues.
- Accounting, CIS, and basic programming: Prepare for the technical and professional competencies required of the accounting profession.
Professional Accounting Certifications
In most states, preparation for the Certified Public Accountant (CPA) examination requires an additional 25 semester hours beyond the 125 semester hours required for the Baccalaureate accounting degree. The Accounting Information Systems major will prepare you for the CPA exam and to work in organizations which increasingly rely on technology for accounting activities.
Students majoring in Accounting Information Systems at Saint Mary-of-the-Woods College will also be prepared for positions that require interpreting converging information in conjunction with the strategic goals of an organization. This interaction allows the graduate to take a leadership role in creating and implementing a technology plan for the organization. These positions include:
- Chief Information Officer
- Accounting Information Systems Manager
- Any position that requires both advanced accounting knowledge and information system knowledge.
- Learn more about accounting careers and certification opportunities.