Creative Writing at The Woods
When you study creative writing at The Woods, you’re studying the art and science of life itself. You’ll immerse yourself into great literary works to strengthen your skills and creative writing workshops to develop your own style. In our stimulating, supportive and creative atmosphere, you’ll find your niche through coursework such as:
- Creative Writing
- Creative Nonfiction
- Women Writers
- Modern World Literature
- Literature and Myth
Submitting work for publication is a requirement in many courses, setting you on a course to the professional life of creative writing. Working alongside inspiring peers and published professionals, you’ll learn that not only what you write, but how you write it, can make a genuine difference.
Blend your love of books and creative expression
At SMWC, you’ll sharpen your writing and communication skills, as well as expand your creative writing ability beyond the boundaries of reality. By analyzing and writing novels, short stories, poems and plays, you’ll strengthen your creative writing craft by:
- Learning discipline and focus.
- Developing an eye for detail.
- Working collaboratively with your peers.
- Understanding the true meaning of humanity.
- Experiencing different styles and genres.
- Enhancing your own writing techniques.
- Discovering how to communicate with all people, not just those on your own level.
Are you ready to create a meaningful career out of your passion and talent? The Woods will help you find your voice and use it to captivate the world.
Choose a format that works for you
Practical Experience As A Student
Do you write poetry or short stories? You can publish your creative writing work in SMWC’s literary magazine, Aurora. You can make your mark in College events such as:
- Performing in the Harvest Lights and Primavera literary reading events.
- Participating in the “Magazine Launch” and collaborating students from other local colleges.
- Showcasing your work in community literary arts exhibits.
Through our career development center, you can dig deeper into your field, network with experts and test drive different writing careers and creative writing jobs. Many of our students get hands-on professional experience in writing jobs:
- Writing blogs and brochures for wildlife organizations like Wolf Park.
- Developing email newsletters for national organizations like Greenpeace.
- Writing technical descriptions for nature reserves like Dobbs Park.
You’ll also have the exciting opportunity to work in a groundbreaking virtual internship program. You’ll use cutting-edge technology to create a collaborative environment that embraces diverse ideas, uses innovative approaches and makes a positive impact in the community.
As a creative writing major at The Woods, you’ll have many opportunities for intellectual exploration, in-depth interactions with your professors and opportunities to develop your techniques.