Humanities at The Woods
Are you curious about the cultural evolution of mankind? Do you see yourself as a leader who can shape social policy? With a degree in Humanities from SMWC, you’ll explore the vast skyline of humanity and become an effective leader in today’s complex and evolving world. Those who study Humanities discover:
- more meaningful involvement in their companies, churches, communities and schools
- alternative spiritual and philosophical ways of thinking
- in-depth cultural awareness and historical perspectives
- intellectual integrity and stronger self-confidence
As a humanities major you can:
- choose courses in the order that you wish, in consultation with your adviser
- have freedom to choose from many electives in the humanities and other areas
- also major or minor in another field, or take courses to develop personal interests or professional skills
- have close relationships with faculty from a number of different academic areas
- open the door to professional advancement and career opportunities
- learn about literature, history, philosophy and theology
- sharpen your critical and creative and communication skills
- strengthen your research and organizational skills
- develop sensitivity to your own interests and the interests of others, so that you can work with people in large and small groups
- enrich your learning by participating in activities related to your interests, including singing, writing and publications, theatre and art
Practical Experience as a Student
Do you want to explore cultural themes through poetry or prose? Publish your work in SMWC’s literary magazine, Aurora. Can you see yourself examining the emotional process of human decision-making through art? Audition for a theatrical production or display your artistic talents in our student gallery. Are you more of a behind-the-scenes person? Develop your leadership skills with one of our nearly 30 clubs and organizations.
Through our dynamic Career Development Center, you’ll be able to test-drive different careers, network with experts and discover your niche in the world. You will also have the exciting opportunity to work in a groundbreaking virtual internship program. You will use cutting-edge technology to creative a collaborative environment that embraces diverse ideas, uses innovative approaches and makes a positive impact in the community.
Between the individual attention you’ll receive in class and the practical experience you’ll have out in the field, you’ll find yourself with many opportunities for success at The Woods. Are you ready to be empowered?
For further information on the Humanities major, contact Dr. Robert Watts.