Sharon Boyle, MM, MT-BC
Coordinator, Undergraduate Music Therapy Program; Associate Professor of Music Therapy
- Phone: (812) 535-5145
Education and Qualifications
- M.M., East Carolina University
- B.A., Linfield College
- Board-certified music therapist through the Certification Board for Music Therapists (CBMT) since 1996
- Level II Music & Imagery Training (Anna Maria College)
- Post-graduate courses at University of Kansas, Indiana State University and Saint Mary-of-the-Woods College
Areas of Specialization, Publication & Research
- Boyle, S.R. & Engen, R.L. (2008). Are music therapists at risk for voice problems? Raising awareness of vocal health issues? Music Therapy Perspectives, 26 (1), 46-50.
- Published book review of Chase, K. (2002). The music therapy assessment handbook. Music Therapy Perspectives, 22(2), 130-132.
- Ongoing collaborative research about vocal health in music therapy in process through 2015
- Contributions to Moderated Discussion Forum of Voices: A World Forum for Music Therapy
- Regular presenter at state, regional, and national music therapy conferences on topics such as: Vocal Improvisation, Self-care in Music Therapy, Vocal Health in Music Therapy, Clinical Training and Supervision in Music Therapy
Recognition and Awards
- 2014 - Recipient of the Alumnae Faculty Leadership Award at Saint Mary-of-the-Woods College.
- 2013-14 - Lead faculty and Advisor for $11,000.00 Ball Venture Funded project, an inter-institutional, faculty/student team to develop and build a portable electronic drum table which simulates several different percussion instruments.
- 2011 - Sister Mary Joseph Pomeroy Faculty Excellence Award for Teaching
- 2010 - Community Service Provider of the Year Award from Human Resources Center of Edgar and Clark Counties (SMWC Music Therapy Program)
- 2009 - Who’s Who in America selected biography
- 2008 - Sister Joseph Pomeroy Faculty Excellence Award for Scholarship
Professional Service / Membership
- Music Therapy Perspectives Editorial Board (2009-present)
- American Music Therapy Association (AMTA), member since 1996
- Great Lakes Region of AMTA (GLR), Mentor in Mentoring Program (2014- ); Strategic Planning Committee – chair of FAQ sub-committee (2011-2012); State Representative (2007-2011)
- Association for Indiana Music Therapy (AIMT), Past-President (2011-2012); President (2007-2011); Webmaster (2009-2012); President-Elect (2006-07); Public Relations Officer (2005-2007)
- Mu Phi Epsilon, Gamma Psi Alumni Chapter, Scholarship Committee Chairperson (2004-2005)
- 18 years extensive clinical practice
- 13 years teaching experience at undergraduate and graduate level
- 15 years of clinical supervision experience with interns and undergraduate students