Music Therapy Equivalency Distance Program
This program is approved by the American Music Therapy Association.
Many people possess excellent music skills and training, and a passion for wanting to help others through music. They discover the profession of Music Therapy and are thrilled to finally find a career that seems to fit! However, until now they could not pursue the dream of becoming a music therapist unless they lived (or moved) near an institution that offered a Music Therapy Program. If you are one of those people, read on…
The Music Therapy Equivalency Distance Program (MTED) at Saint Mary-of-the-Woods College is designed with you in mind. It is unique in that it provides you the opportunity to pursue study in the field of music therapy at a distance through online classes. SMWC is the only online college in the nation that offers the Equivalency program online. Although three brief residencies per year are required, you can complete a majority of your coursework via online classes and participate in clinical training near where you live.
The MTED program is open to individuals holding a bachelor's degree in music (see full application requirements). The program may be completed in as few as two years. During the second year of the MTED program, those students who want to pursue graduate study have the option of taking some courses in the Master of Arts in Music Therapy program. Successful completion of the MTED program allows students to be eligible to sit for the Music Therapy Board Examination.
- Work on your music therapy training primarily from where you live.
- Come to campus for a 3-day residency (both Fall and Winter); do your coursework and clinical training for that semester during the following 16 weeks.
- Come for a 5 day residency in May, and do your coursework and clinical training for that semester during the following 8 weeks.
- Finish the program in approximately 2 years.
- Transition into the Master of Arts in Music Therapy graduate program if desired.