About the MAMT Program
The Master of Arts in Music Therapy program at Saint Mary-of-the-Woods College is dedicated to providing students who are currently a music therapist with learning experiences designed to:
- deepen and broaden the current understanding of the therapeutic uses of music
- prepare students for advanced areas of music therapy practice.
One of only two online colleges in Indiana to offer a graduate degree in music therapy, SMWC welcomes any music therapist who seeks online classes and a distance learning format to enrich their professional and/or personal interests in music therapy. Emphasis is given to understanding and applying theories of music therapy, counseling and psychopathology, and to developing the therapeutic self.
A convenient way to earn your masters
The program is designed especially for persons who, because of work, family or other commitments, cannot pursue a graduate degree in the traditional way. Students spend four to five days on campus at the beginning of each semester; courses begun at this time are completed through guided independent study from students' homes. Saint Mary-of-the-Woods College has offered this type of distance learning for over 35 years. Students are also required to come to campus for two 6-day summer intensives during the program.
"For those professionals with additional family responsibilities (those with children or elder care situations), this MAMT program is perfect. The limited residency time provides for flexibility in personalizing one's study routine."
-Jeanne Besetzny, M.A., MT-BC, Park Ridge, IL
- Deepen understanding of theories of music therapy, counseling, and psychotherapy and to facilitate the application of theory to music therapy practice.
- Enhance the skills utilized throughout the therapeutic process, as applied to groups and individuals.
- Develop an advanced understanding of the therapeutic uses of music, especially as applied to medicine and psychotherapy.
- Educate each music therapist for a multicultural world with great diversity in clientèle.
- Prepare each music therapist for advanced practice in a managed care society
- Encourage each music therapist to be informed of, and engaged in, contemporary music issues.
- Reinforce understanding of musical developments and events throughout history.
- Utilize specific music therapy and counseling techniques with individuals and groups in a variety of settings, with emphasis on medical and psychotherapeutic settings
- Demonstrate advanced understanding of the theoretical foundations of music therapy and counseling, and apply these theories to practice; Articulate a personal music therapy theory.
- Demonstrate advanced understanding of and ability to utilize methods of music therapy assessment
- Understand ethical issues and current business practices of music therapy.
Music Therapy in the News
Career Options include:
- College / University teaching
- Medical Music Therapy
- Music Psychotherapy
- Psychiatric Music Therapy
- Music Therapy Private Practice
- Music Therapy Research
This program is approved by the American Music Therapy Association. All music programs at SMWC are accredited by the National Association of Schools of Music.