Free City-Wide Tax Day

February 3rd, 2015 | SMWC

Saint Mary-of-the-Woods College (SMWC) has coordinated the first ever Terre Haute Free City-Wide Tax Day in coordination with the Vigo County Public Library, Indiana State University, Ivy Tech, Harrison College and Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology. It will take place on Sat., Feb. 28 from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. at the Vigo County Public Library at 7th and Poplar.

Each year, SMWC participates in the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) Program to help low- to moderate-income (generally, $53,000 and below) people who cannot prepare their own tax returns. SMWC students volunteer receive training and become certified to help prepare basic tax returns. Jamie McCracken, co-coordinator of SMWC’s VITA site and assistant professor of business, collaborated with other area institutions to provide the Terre Haute Free City-Wide Tax Day.

“I started to think about the positive impact our tax site has on not just the community but my students too,” states Jamie McCracken, SMWC associate professor of business and co-coordinator of SMWC’s VITA services. “I wanted to share that experience with the other colleges in the area. They were all very willing to help and excited to collaborate together as a community!”

All volunteers are certified through the IRS VITA program, and this is a part of the SMWC VITA program. An estimated 30 students from all five higher education institutions will participate in this community service activity.

Limited appointments will be available. An appointment is recommended, but walk-ins will be accepted as time allows. To make an appointment, call Sally at (812) 232-1116. For eligibility and tax-related questions, call Jamie at (812) 535-5260.

Those who wish to have tax returns prepared at a VITA site must bring:

  • Proof of identification – Picture ID
  • Social Security Card for you, your spouse and dependents or a Social Security Number verification letter issued by the Social Security Administration or
  • Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) assignment letter for you, your spouse and dependents
  • Proof of foreign status, applying for an ITIN
  • Birth dates for you, your spouse and dependents on the tax return
  • Wage and earning statement(s) Form W-2, W-2G, 1099-R, 1099-Misc from all employers
  • Interest and dividend statements from banks (Forms 1099)
  • A copy of last year’s federal and state returns if available
  • Proof of bank account routing numbers and account numbers for Direct Deposit, such as a blank check
  • Total paid for daycare provider and the daycare provider’s tax identifying number (the provider’s Social Security Number or the provider’s business Employer Identification Number) if applicable
  • To file taxes electronically on a married-filing-joint tax return, both spouses much be present to sign the required forms.

Comment on this article

This story has been moved to the archive and comments have now been disabled.