Pomeroys head to nationals
November 5th, 2012 | SMWC
For the fourth consecutive year, the Saint Mary-of-the-Woods College cross-country team heads to the United States Collegiate Athletic Association (USCAA) 2012 Cross Country National Championship. The competition takes place in Lake Placid, N.Y., at the U.S. Winter Olympic Training Center on November 9, 2012, at 11 am.
SMWC head cross country coach Danelle Readinger believes the team is prepared. “The team is united and enthusiastic about Nationals and the opportunity to attend, and the work that is ahead.” Since June, no matter the weather conditions or the toughness of the workout, the ladies have worked hard in preparation for Nationals.
The team boasts experience in conference championship competition. Stephanie Runyon, one of four seniors competing, was the runner-up in 2009 and 2010, and was the 2011 Individual National Champion. Junior Logan Fry was 2010 Individual National Champion. In 2011, the team placed third in the meet.
As true student athletes, five of the nine team members will be recognized as Academic All-Americans – Casandra Barnett, Corianna Frederick, Jennifer Hughes, Stephanie Runyon and Lauren Sutton. These women, each with a GPA over 3.80, will be honored at a banquet for their outstanding commitment to academics.
Readinger adds, “The focus is on this meet only and what we want is to run our best physically and mentally, and we are ready for that. ”
- Casandra Barnett (Senior; Brazil, Ind.)
- Corianna Frederick (Sophmore; Commiskey, Ind.)
- Logan Fry (Junior, Charleston, Ind.)
- Erin Harnett (Freshman, Fishers, Ind.)
- Sarah Hudson (Freshman; West Terre Haute, Ind.)
- Jennifer Hughes (Senior; Lyons, Ind.)
- Lauren Sutton (Senior; Noblesville, Ind.)
- Nicole Nyers (Freshman; Granger, Ind.)
- Stephanie Runyon (Senior; Noblesville, Ind.)