Emergency Procedures

To report an emergency call 911, then security at (812) 535-6200.
On campus, dial extension 6200.

Non-emergency phone number: (812) 535-5253.
On campus, dial extension 5253. 

George Pizzola
Director of Security
Le Fer Hall, Ground Floor
(812) 535-5253

Emergency text message and email notification system.

Emergency Procedures

Quickly access this page using the following address: http://smwc.edu/911

Fire Safety

To Report a Fire

  1. Pull the fire alarm located at the end of each hallway. Note: Residents should acquaint themselves with the locations of these alarm boxes.
  2. Call 911 and tell them the exact location of the fire.
    Note: Students, faculty and staff need to dial 9-911 from a landline phone on campus.
  3. Call Security at ext. 6200

Alarms will be sounded and the building is to be evacuated totally. If weather conditions or time warrant, occupants will be sent to another building.

Each building has a fire panel that indicates the location of the alarm or detector that has been triggered. Security will go to the indicated location to verify that there is indeed a fire and if a dangerous situation is present the fire department will be notified.

No one will be allowed to reenter the building until the fire department gives the all clear sign to Security.

Tornado Safety

Security and emergency responders will notify occupants if a tornado warning has been received from the National Weather service.

Injury of Person

If an ambulance is needed dial 911 and identify yourself and your specific location on campus.

Note: Students, faculty and staff need to dial 9-911 from a landline phone on campus.


If an earthquake should occur, individuals should follow these instructions:

After the shaking has subsided, persons should exit the building/vehicle and seek medical care if necessary. Please be aware that additional tremors are likely.

Armed Intruder


Call 911

Note: Students, faculty and staff need to dial 9-911 from a landline phone on campus.


Officials of the College in consultation with Security and local law enforcement will determine the need to lock down a facility or evacuate the building.

Bomb Threat

In the event that a bomb threat has been received the fire alarm in the targeted building(s) will be activated:

Sexual Assault

If you are the victim of a sexual assault, protect yourself using whatever means necessary.

Harassment Free Environment Policy (includes information on how to file a complaint when you have been sexually assaulted or harassed)

Missing Person

Notify Security and the Dean of Students if a student has been missing from campus for 24 hours and no one has been able to make contact with the person.

Death of Student or Employee

Death or Severe Illness of Relative of Student

If you receive information from a family member you are to notify the Dean of Students or the Vice President for Academic Affairs. Often the family member wants some staff person to inform the student of the news or at least wants someone to be with the student when she receives the news. The Campus Life staff including the RA and the RCA (cover-call staff) will follow-up for support.

Reporting a Crime

To report a crime, contact SMWC/SP Security Department by calling 812-535-5253 (non-emergency) or 812-535-6200 (emergencies). When using a campus phone, use the last four digits of either phone number to reach Security. For medical emergencies or in the case of a fire, dial 9-1-1 before contacting Security. Any suspicious activity or person seen in the parking lots or loitering around vehicles, inside buildings, or around the residence hall should be reported to Security. In addition you may report a crime to the following areas:

Dean of Students 018 Le Fer Hall 812-535-5219
Vice President for Academic Affairs 138 Le Fer Hall 812-535-5182
Associate Director of Campus Life 027 Le Fer Hall 812-535-5173

Saint Mary-of-the-Woods College encourages anyone with knowledge of a crime on or off campus to report it. In order to maximize safety on campus and to aid in prompt investigations, please report to the SMWC/SP Security Department any incident that may qualify as homicide (murder, non-negligent and negligent manslaughter); sex offenses (forcible, non-forcible); robbery; aggravated assault; burglary; motor vehicle theft; arson; and any hate crime for inclusion in the Annual Campus Security Report. Reporting does not mean you must take legal action. It may, however, help security officers to stop further incidents as well as keep the community informed about criminal activity.

To make a report in person, go to the Security office or the Campus Life office. The Security office is located on the ground floor of Le Fer Hall, room 032 across from the Campus Life office, located in room 027. To make a report by phone, call 812-535-5253 and describe the situation to the officer. In emergency situations, including fires and medical emergencies, call 911. If another person is available, ask them to call Security at 6200 to alert them to the 911 emergency and to give them as many details about the emergency as possible.

Saint Mary-of-the-Woods students requiring non-emergency medical care may contact the Health office at 812-535-5200 (ext. 5200 on campus) to speak with the College nurse and to receive referrals and information to clinics that see patients without appointments. Students seeking counseling services may contact the Counseling office at 812-535-5102 (ext. 5102 on campus).

Confidential Reporting Procedures

If you are the victim of a crime and do not want to pursue action with the College system or the criminal justice system, you may still want to consider making a confidential report. With your permission, Security can file a report on the details of the incident on your behalf. The purpose of a confidential report is to comply with your wish to keep the matter confidential, while taking steps to ensure the future safety of yourself and others. With such information, the College can keep an accurate record of the number of incidents involving students, determine where there is a pattern of crime with regard to a particular location, method, or assailant, and alert the campus community to potential danger. Reports filed in this manner are counted and disclosed in the annual crime statistics for the institution.

SMWC/Sisters of Providence Security Response to a Crime Report

When you report a crime to the SMWC/Sisters of Providence Security Office, an officer will meet with you, listen to what happened, and, if necessary, make a preliminary report. They may also ask that you speak with a member of the Campus Life staff or the Vigo County Sheriff’s Department. They will advise you if there is anything further that you need to do. In the case where charges are pressed with the local police or sheriff, you may be asked to sign an arrest warrant.

You are encouraged to report any criminal activity even if you don’t want to take legal action in order to help us maintain accurate statistical records. Campus Life is responsible for preparing the College’s Annual Campus Security Report and for obtaining the compiled crime statistics that are included in this report from Campus Security. The information you report may require the College to issue a Crime Alert if it is determined by the Vice President of Operations that the circumstances warrant such action.

Reporting Off-Campus Crimes and Other Emergencies

Victims or witnesses to criminal activity occurring off campus should contact the agency that has jurisdiction: 

SMWC/Sisters of Providence Security officers can assist in notifying law enforcement agencies.