Fitness Room Policy
The SMWC Fitness Center is located on the ground floor of the Le Fer Residence Hall. The center is equipped with cardio equipment: steppers, elliptical, bikes, and treadmills. There are 15 different selectorized resistance machines, a 7-station unit for a great upper body workout, a Smith machine for squats, and rubberized dumbbell sets ranging from 3lb to 35lb.
If you are unsure how a specific piece of equipment is to be used, ask the Facility Supervisor to demonstate the machine for you. A video library containing a variety of workouts is also available for use in the Center. The fitness center is managed by the Athletic Director. Hours for use are posted outside the fitness center.
The Fitness Center is open to Saint Mary-of-the-Woods College (SMWC) employees, students, and Sisters of Providence employees. Spouses/Partners living in the same household as an employee may apply for membership to the Fitness Center. After the application has been processed and approved, a picture ID card will be issued allowing them admittance. All users must present a valid picture ID issued by SMWC or the Sisters of Providence. There are no exceptions to this policy.
Fitness Room Policy
- Smoking or use of tobacco in any form is prohibited.
- Portable stereos may be used with headphones only.
- The Fitness Center is not responsible for lost or stolen items.
- Athletic clothing including sports shorts, sweats, t-shirts or other work-out attire must be worn. No street clothes (jeans, shorts with belts, buttons, belt loops, etc.) are permitted.
- Only closed-toe athletic shoes permitted in the Fitness Center. No street shoes, sandals, flip-flops, open-toe or open heal shoes.
- A towel is required for all users of the Fitness Center. No towel, no workout.
- Please wipe down each piece of equipment before you leave that station. Over time, sweat will damage the padding on the machines.
- Exercise stations must be utilized as designed and in the designated space. Weight stations may not be altered in any manner inconsistent with their design or intent.
- Users must return bars/weights to their proper place/racks immediately after use.
- Keep hands and feet clear of moving parts while machine is in use.
- Never put hands or feet under weight stacks. Place hand and feet only on the handgrips and foot pads provided.
- Do not operate equipment if it has loose or damaged parts. Report repair needs to the staff. Do not make the repair yourself.
- Do NOT drop weight stacks, plates, dumbbells or other free weight equipment.
- Only water is permitted in the Fitness Center, and only in plastic bottles.
- No food is permitted in the Fitness Center.
- No glass or metal containers allowed in the Fitness Center.
- Users who break fitness equipment through misuse or misconduct can be suspended from the facility. Also the user will be held responsible for the cost of repairs to the equipment.
- Profane or indecent language is discouraged. Such language which is directed at employees or deemed offensive to other users will not be permitted.
- Book bags, knapsacks, etc. are to be left outside the Fitness Center.
- Exception: General Fitness Classes
- The SMWC Fitness Center operates on an "exercise at your own risk" policy.